Thursday, September 17, 2009

No wonder my friends say I should not think much!!!!

Its one of my not-so-useful-but-still-may-be-pertinent-sometime-to-someone theories – that travel as an interest is mostly a sugarcoated expression of one’s desire to escape his or her current present - a need to be a guest instead of host – expression of need to escape decision making – the desire to divest personal accountability in the process of realizing and retaining personal happiness – an intention to identify and retain difference between self and folks belonging to different places.

In light of aforementioned deducing, is it possible for someone to become traveler to a place where they actually belong and currently not residing but still have not yet been devoid of that piece of her/his identity which was contributed by the place? Can they be really amused as a traveler who is stepping on its soil for the first time and there is not even a single similar thing in common with the locals of the tourist spot? Will the experience of hospitality that is to be received be the same or will there be a partiality?

I always feel a pinch of bitterness whenever I happen to travel to any place where folks of the same ethnicity I belong to happen to be the majority. Predominantly, the experience may be pleasant (yes, Money is indeed quite powerful in extricating humanity buried deep inside every human but will not be shared unless coaxed by powerful stimulant like money) but there are times when I have wished that I had been completely different.

For one, I totally love the experience when I do not understand the language spoken at the place. That way, I will not get to know if I am being manipulated which may happen in few cases. I wouldn’t want to know if I am being dealt the short end of the rope. Another aspect of it – I really can do better than the real impressions made by me on the locals. When a local passes by and makes a comment on how he fantasizes you, one cannot cease the reaction gushing from inside – could be positive or negative but definitely unwarranted.

And when you have to share the attention of host with someone else, you pray fervently it better be not a ‘firangi’ – esp in Indian context.  Well – what to do in such circumstances? Oh – just be a better dost to firangi than your host. Yep – anything to make the travel experience worthy of a queen.

Maybe I need to introspect if I should be more open-minded with respect to few stray incidents encountered during my travel experience while traveling within the country but cant help wonder if I am really onto something here J

And hence these ramblings in a blog!

0 comments: