Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Isn't IT scary?

Though I have been part of IT industry for nearly 3 years now, I could never feel integrated with the industry. As always, there was a lot of introspection as to why I am finding it difficult to assimilate with the rest of the industry. My gut feeling is this industry has been over-hyped beyond reality. But what saddens me the most is the monopoly it seems to be enjoying over the most important resource of them all - Human Resource !


If its not about the hijacking of young brains by the industry, I am also worried about so many other fledgeling industries that are growing dependent on IT industry. The entire Indian economy seems to be resting on the foundation of IT industry and the foundation itself is not insulated against the ripples of major economies like US. Is it safe that an industry that coughs up blood if US & other developed nations clear their throat, should be the one that drives a country’s economy ?


According to me, the primary risk (some might tout this as the strength) that industry inherently has is the ease with which the players can be replaced by virtually anyone. If its India today who is the front runner amoung service providers, tomorrow it can be South East Asian Archipelago of Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore or the giant itself - China. This is the reality we should be working towards. In such context, does it make sense to be riding on this wave?
Last but not the least, its my personal opinion that the industry does not exploit human potential to the maximum extent. One can mention innovation but how many are actually involved? Not only does it not exploit, but it actually pays for very less effort. If not the direct cause, IT industry cannot escape from sharing the blame for the current catastrophe of inflation.


At the end of the day, all humans need 3 things - food, water and air !


I find it scary when I realise the prospect of me waking up one day and finding only dumb terminals all around me !

0 comments: