Wednesday, July 16, 2008

It is company’s decision ! (Read as : Do not ask me anything)

My face is at its contorted best when I hear anyone from higher management state the following - “It is company’s decision”. So what is it supposed to mean ?

  • I do not need to answer you. Next Question please.
  • Even I think its ridiculous but I cannot do anything but pass it down to you guys because I lack spine
  • Didn’t you realize you are just a resource? It was your folly to have suffered from the delusion that you are part of the company.
  • Dear, welcome to the Corporate World ! Here, you are encouraged to ask questions but didn’t they tell your during induction , its upto the discretion of higher management whether to answer or not. Isn’t it a great motivation to reach there soon ?

Right now, I am in a position where I get to view the perspective from both sides as I report to someone and there are others who report to me ! Its my personal and very strong belief that - when a decision has to be taken, all the stakeholders has to participate whether the decision impacts them directly or not. I believe it helps me in developing an ambience where everyone feels they have had a role to play and this sows the seed of self-esteem in a resource which I believe influences the productivity.


Why its difficult to have a democratic set up in truest sense in Corporate world ? Else, lets just write off the claim that a company grows with its resources. Why can’t it be proclaimed in open - I pay your salary and You work for my profit ! I find it more logical and easier to accept !

0 comments: