Friday, June 20, 2008

Brand Ambassadors - Who need 'em?

There was an article in TOI recently producing the list of brand ambassadors , the brands they endorse and the duration of time their advertisements is aired in television. And as ever, I was left wondering - Whats all this fuss with celebrities endorsing brands !


As a customer myself, I have never been tempted to buy a product because a XYZ endorses it. I introspected so much considering all possible situations and all possible brand ambassadors but I could not believe I would buy a product just because of the ambassador. Definitely, I will notice the brand, but till date, was never convinced to buy one without considering other factors that influence my decision.


Stepping out of comfy zone of my own world, when I considered other target customers, esp from rural and small town regions, I believe thats the market who would get majorly influenced by the choice of brand ambassadors.


On the other hand, as an urban customer myself, I find my attention completely turned off whenever I see an Amitabh or SRK’s ad on TV that I dont even notice the brand ! Dhoni is quickly making into that list


On a lighter note, the following persons will have all my attention if they happen to be on TV

  • Lalu Prasad Yadav (TV loves him)
  • Mumble from HAPPY FEET fame or Sid the Sloth from ICE AGE. In short, any of those adorable animated characters
  • Late Richard P Feynman (A physicist I adore a lot) Ian Wright (Favourite traveller from Discovery Channel)
  • Lance Klusener (After all, who can stay away when one’s first ever crush appears to be on TV )


Can any one out there who has penchant for marketing strategies throw light on the necessity of spending so much on brand ambassador and what kinda ROI has been typically associated with this strategy ?

0 comments: