Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Home Sapiens : The over-hyped lot !

This morning, I saw a thought provoking scene. On the way to work, on the Neeladri route that the morning shuttles take these days, there was a toddler, probably around 2 years old, outside the thatched hut that I presume to be his home. What caught my attention was this dog that was beside the kid. The dog was sitting majestically on all its fours and the kid was sitting next to it with the complete awareness that he owns the dog and it will not hurt him. The pride of ownership and the authority was so evident in the way the kid was behaving in the dog’s presence and the dog did not seem to resist the idea.
This triggered a chain of thoughts in my mind , in correlation to certain idealogies that I hold with regards to human beings.
Primarily, all of us are hunters. However efficient the mask can be, deep down, all of us are on prowl - just that prey is different for each of us.
The mask, that was referred to in the previous point, has been effectively and meticulously laid thru agents like religion, the idea of civilization etc.
However hard I try, I cannot shake off this feeling that all human beings are nothing but glorified ANIMALS or a PEST that grows on its benefactor. I cannot stand the sense of importance we have attached to ourselves as a species. One cannot deny that we seem to be intellectually superior, but hello, do we ever know what is happening on a micro-level. For all we know, a cockroach dwelling in the crevices in your wall, can probably see thru the crystalline structure of the material that the wall is made up of , without a microscope. After all, it sees things differently than we do.So it knows when a crack is going to develop enough to cause a collapse and so it moves out then.
Given my way, I would like to rip the mask and lay bare the fact that we are hunters and a damn good one at it. I wish we, as a species, acknowledge it and act natural !

0 comments: